Yesterday Apple announced their software releases for the fall. The upgrades will be free, though for the first time in a couple of years Apple has dropped older devices off their upgrade list.
What if my Mac isn’t compatible? That’s okay, El Capitan will probably get security updates through fall 2018 if Apple continues their pattern. But be sure to upgrade to El Capitan before Sierra is released in the fall, otherwise El Capitan will likely be removed from the App Store. Even if you don’t actually install El Capitan at least make sure to “purchase” it (for free) in the App Store so that’ it’s in your App Store account and you can install later. You can cancel the install at that point.
Minimum supported devices:
macOS 10.12 Sierra – To view your system version click the Apple menu and then click “About This Mac”. If you are running a very old version of OS X I have noted how to visually check most models below.
- MacBook – Late 2009 (white plastic unibody MacBook, no firewire port)
- MacBook Air – Late 2010 (any air with a USB port on both left and right sides can upgrade)
- MacBook Pro – Mid 2010 (there are no cosmetic distinguishers for this model, you’ll need to check the specs)
- iMac – Late 2009 (any iMac with glass that extends from edge to edge on the left, right, and top, instead of being bordered by aluminum on all four sides)
- Mac Mini – Mid 2010 (any Mini with a black plastic circular bottom)
- Mac Pro – Mid 2010 (any Mac Pro with at least dual Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt ports)
iOS 10 – in general, if your iOS device has a Lightning cable it’s compatible with iOS 10, with the exception of the original iPad Mini (the one without Retina) and the iPod Touch 5th generation.
- iPhone 5 or later (any iPhone with a Lightning cable)
- iPad 4 (the older style iPad with a Lightning cable)
- iPad Air (any model)
- iPad Pro (any model)
- iPad Mini 2 or later (any iPad Mini with a Retina display)
- iPod Touch 6th generation only (model A1574)
- Apple Watch (any model)
- Apple TV 4th generation (the Apple TV with the App Store and Siri)