iPhone 6s and 6s Plus added a pressure-sensitive screen feature called 3D Touch. One way this is used is with app icons on your home screen. If you have a supported iPhone you can press icons hard to activate. If supported by the app this brings up a menu allowing you to jump directly to certain parts of the app. This includes built-in and third-party apps.
You’ll need to play around to discover what it can do, but some of my favorites include:
- Settings: jump directly to WiFi or Bluetooth settings
- App Store: immediately start downloading all available updates
- Podcasts: continue recent episodes or series
- Messages: jump straight to a recent conversation
- Phone: choose from your list of favorites
- Find iPhone: play a sound on one of your devices
- Camera: jump straight to video, photo
- Starbucks: jump straight to the pay, order, or nearby store screens
- Waze: drive to work or home
Note that some of these were added with yesterday’s iOS 9.3 update.