Today Apple released updates for all of their operating systems.
SharePlay adds media sharing to FaceTime. This lets you open up video or audio from a compatible app while in a FaceTime call to share that content with others. You can AirPlay to your Apple TV and continue chatting on your iPhone while watching the shared content on your big screen. You can also screen share your iPhone, iPad, or (soon) Mac to do things such as browse a website together.
You can add your COVID-19 vaccine digital SMART verification QR code to Health and Apple Wallet.
Lossless audio for HomePod and HomePod mini. Dolby Atmos for HomePod.
Even if you aren’t interested in these features you should definitely update if you have already upgraded to iOS 15 because this update also includes many bug and security fixes as well as other small tweaks.
iOS 15.1 Release notes
– SharePlay is a new way to share synchronized experiences in FaceTime with content from the Apple TV app, Apple Music, Fitness+, and other supported App Store apps
– Shared controls give everyone the ability to pause, play, rewind or fast forward
– Smart volume automatically lowers the audio of a movie, TV show or song when your friends speak
– Apple TV supports the option to watch the shared video on your big screen while you continue the FaceTime call on iPhone
– Screen sharing lets everyone on a FaceTime call look at photos, browse the web, or help each other out
– ProRes video capture using iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max
– Setting to turn off automatic camera switching when taking macro photos and videos on iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max
– COVID-19 vaccination card support allows you to add and present verifiable vaccination information from Apple Wallet
– Mandarin Chinese (Taiwan) support in the Translate app and for system-wide translation
– New automation triggers based on the current reading of a HomeKit-enabled humidity, air quality, or light level sensor
– New pre-built actions let you overlay text on images or gifs, plus a new collection of games lets you pass the time with Siri
This release also fixes the following issues:
– Photos app may incorrectly report storage is full when importing photos and videos
– Weather app may not show current temperature for My Location, and may display colors of animated backgrounds incorrectly
– Audio playing from an app may pause when locking the screen
– Wallet may unexpectedly quit when using VoiceOver with multiple passes
– Available Wi-Fi networks may not be detected
– Battery algorithms updated on iPhone 12 models to better estimate battery capacity over time
watchOS 8.1 release notes
- Enhanced algorithms to detect falls during workouts and option to enable fall detection during workouts only (Apple Watch Series 4 and later)
- COVID-19 vaccination card support allows you to present verifiable vaccination information from Apple Wallet
- Fitness+ supports SharePlay to allow subscribers to invite up to 32 people to workout together through a FaceTime call using iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV
- Always On may not display the time accurately for some users when their wrist is down (Apple Watch Series 5 and later)
- Mac: Click the Apple menu > System Preferences > Software Update. Apple Support Article HT201541
- iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch: Open the Settings app > General > Software Update. Apple Support Article HT204204
- Apple Watch: First update your iPhone, then on your iPhone tap the Watch app > General > Software Update. Apple Support Article HT204641
- Apple TV: Go to the Settings app > System > Software Update. Apple Support Article HT202716
- HomePod: Updates will install automatically. To push the update along faster see the instructions at Apple Support Article HT208247
If you are an existing customer who needs help with this or if you have other questions, or if you are in San Francisco and interested in becoming a client I invite you to book an appointment with me. Otherwise, you may wish to contact Apple Support or to find a local Apple consultant.
For more tips like this delivered directly to your inbox sign up for my email list: