Today Apple released minor updates for iOS and iPadOS: version 14.7.1, as well as macOS Big Sur 11.5.1. This is just a week after 14.7 was released. This updates fix a minor bug that prevents Touch ID-based iPhones from automatically unlocking a paired Apple Watch, but more importantly it fixes a very serious security flaw that may have been exploited in the wild. I strongly recommend everyone update ASAP.
- Mac: Click the Apple menu > System Preferences > Software Update. Apple Support Article HT201541
- iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch: Open the Settings app > General > Software Update. Apple Support Article HT204204
- Apple Watch: First update your iPhone, then on your iPhone tap the Watch app > General > Software Update. Apple Support Article HT204641
- Apple TV: Go to the Settings app > System > Software Update. Apple Support Article HT202716
- HomePod: Updates will install automatically. To push the update along faster see the instructions at Apple Support Article HT208247
If you are an existing customer who needs help with this or if you have other questions, or if you are in San Francisco and interested in becoming a client I invite you to book an appointment with me. Otherwise, you may wish to contact Apple Support or to find a local Apple consultant.
For more tips like this delivered directly to your inbox sign up for my email list: