Shortly after releasing updates for most of their mobile OSes on Monday, Apple released updates for macOS Big Sur and iPadOS today. Normally they release all of these updates at the same time but there must have been some last-minute fix needed for the Mac and iPad.
There are no significant changes with these updates apart from support for Podcast subscriptions and the ability to merge Apple Card accounts. This is mostly about fixes for performance, reliability, and security. So I recommend everyone install these right away especially if you are already running macOS Big Sur and iPadOS 14.
- Mac (macOS 13 Ventura or later): Click the Apple menu > System Settings > General > Software Update.
- Mac (macOS 12 Monterey or earlier): Click the Apple menu > System Preferences > Software Update. Apple Support Article HT201541
- iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch: Open the Settings app > General > Software Update. Apple Support Article HT204204
- Apple Watch: First update your iPhone, then on your iPhone tap the Watch app > General > Software Update. Apple Support Article HT204641
- Apple TV: Go to the Settings app > System > Software Update. Apple Support Article HT202716
- HomePod: Updates will install automatically. To push the update along faster see the instructions in Apple Support Article HT208247
If you are an existing customer who needs help with this or if you have other questions, or if you are in San Francisco and interested in becoming a client I invite you to book an appointment with me. Otherwise, you may wish to contact Apple Support or find a local Apple consultant.
For more tips like this delivered directly to your inbox sign up for my email list: