Today Apple released software updates across all of their system software. They add security fixes, bug fixes, performance improvements, and a few new features to macOS 14 Sonoma and iOS 17 which were released last month.
The new features are:
- NameDrop now works with Apple Watch (tap two Apple Watches or a Watch and iPhone together to transfer contact info)
- Shuffle specific photo albums on your Lock Screen
- Large Airdrop transfers can continue over cellular or WiFi if needed
- A few minor updates to Apple Music such as the ability to favorite a song, album, or playlist, the ability to choose from a set library of images for your playlists, and suggestions for songs to add to your playlists.
- Some minor tweaks to how StandBy works
- Cards in Apple Wallet now show account information such as current balance. Beginning with Discover.
- Enhance Dialogue now available for HomePod min and 1st Gen HomePod when paired to an Apple TV. Previously this was only available on the 2nd Gen HomePod.
- Double Tap for Apple Watch Series 9 and Apple Watch Ultra 2 allow you to activate whatever primary button is on your screen simply by double-tapping your index finger and thumb. For example, answer or hang up a call, pause music, or end a timer. It accomplishes this by sensing the motion of your wrist and the change in blood flow.
- Home Key support for Matter locks.
Even if you aren’t excited about these specific features, I recommend updating especially if you have already installed the new upgrades in the last month, as there are many small refinements, fixes, and security patches that aren’t on that list.
Today’s updates include:
- iOS 17.1
- iPadOS 17.1
- watchOS 10.1
- tvOS 17.1
- HomePodOS 17.1
- macOS 14.1 Sonoma
- macOS 13.6.1 Ventura
- macOS 12.7.1 Monterey
- Safari 17.1 (for macOS Ventura & Monterey; included with Sonoma 14.1)
- Mac (macOS 13 Ventura or later): Click the Apple menu > System Settings > General > Software Update.
- Mac (macOS 12 Monterey or earlier): Click the Apple menu > System Preferences > Software Update. Apple Support Article HT201541
- iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch: Open the Settings app > General > Software Update. Apple Support Article HT204204
- Apple Watch: First update your iPhone, then on your iPhone tap the Watch app > General > Software Update. Apple Support Article HT204641
- Apple TV: Go to the Settings app > System > Software Update. Apple Support Article HT202716
- HomePod: Updates will install automatically. To push the update along faster see the instructions in Apple Support Article HT208247
If you are an existing customer who needs help with this or if you have other questions, or if you are in San Francisco and interested in becoming a client I invite you to book an appointment with me. Otherwise, you may wish to contact Apple Support or find a local Apple consultant.
For more tips like this delivered directly to your inbox sign up for my email list: