Today Apple released updates for iOS and iPadOS 17. In addition to fixing a problem where the new iPhone 15 would run hot, there are bug and security fixes for all devices. If you have upgraded to iOS 17 already I recommend installing these updates right away, especially if you have the new iPhone 15 or 15 Pro, as I’m hearing that it addresses a security problem that has been actively exploited.
If right this moment is not convenient, you will notice that iOS 17 added a button to install tonight, which will run in the middle of the night after you haven’t used your device in a while.
- Mac (macOS 13 Ventura or later): Click the Apple menu > System Settings > General > Software Update.
- Mac (macOS 12 Monterey or earlier): Click the Apple menu > System Preferences > Software Update. Apple Support Article HT201541
- iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch: Open the Settings app > General > Software Update. Apple Support Article HT204204
- Apple Watch: First update your iPhone, then on your iPhone tap the Watch app > General > Software Update. Apple Support Article HT204641
- Apple TV: Go to the Settings app > System > Software Update. Apple Support Article HT202716
- HomePod: Updates will install automatically. To push the update along faster see the instructions in Apple Support Article HT208247
If you are an existing customer who needs help with this or if you have other questions, or if you are in San Francisco and interested in becoming a client I invite you to book an appointment with me. Otherwise, you may wish to contact Apple Support or find a local Apple consultant.
For more tips like this delivered directly to your inbox sign up for my email list: