Yesterday Apple released OS updates for iPhone, Mac, and Apple Watch. These updates include security fixes for problems that have been actively exploited so I recommend updating ASAP!
Releases for current software:
- iOS 16.5.1
- iPadOS 16.5.1
- watchOS 9.5.2
- macOS Ventura 13.4.1
Releases for prior software:
- iOS 15.7.7
- iPadOS 15.7.7
- watchOS 8.8.1
- macOS Monterey 12.6.7
- macOS Big Sur 11.7.8
It may seem that there are more of these kinds of “active exploits, update your phone immediately” these days but there are a few things going on. Our devices are being used more and more in every aspect of our lives so keeping security patches installed is becoming more important. It’s something that’s being pushed by security experts as one of the most effective and easiest things you can do to protect yourself. And the software is becoming bigger and does more, so it means there are more places for hackers to search for security flaws. Luckily Apple is extremely responsive with fixing these problems so we often see them patched within days or even hours.
- Mac (macOS 13 Ventura or later): Click the Apple menu > System Settings > General > Software Update.
- Mac (macOS 12 Monterey or earlier): Click the Apple menu > System Preferences > Software Update. Apple Support Article HT201541
- iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch: Open the Settings app > General > Software Update. Apple Support Article HT204204
- Apple Watch: First update your iPhone, then on your iPhone tap the Watch app > General > Software Update. Apple Support Article HT204641
- Apple TV: Go to the Settings app > System > Software Update. Apple Support Article HT202716
- HomePod: Updates will install automatically. To push the update along faster see the instructions in Apple Support Article HT208247
If you are an existing customer who needs help with this or if you have other questions, or if you are in San Francisco and interested in becoming a client I invite you to book an appointment with me. Otherwise, you may wish to contact Apple Support or find a local Apple consultant.
For more tips like this delivered directly to your inbox sign up for my email list: