Today Apple released updates across (most of) their mobile OSes. These updates contain bug fixes, security patches, and a few minor features. The updates for macOS 11.5 and iPadOS 14.7 were expected today, but it appears that Apple needs just a bit more time to refine it. I suspect we’ll see that released later this week.
I recommend everyone install these updates right away, especially if you are already running iOS 14. This may be one of the last updates before iOS 15 is released this fall.
In addition to the regular bug fix and security updates we do get a few minor new features:
- Support for the new MagSafe Battery Pack (iPhone 12 series only)
- Support for merging existing Apple Card accounts, which combines your credit limits
- Apple Watch gets ECG and irregular heart rhythms in 30 additional countries
- Podcast subscriptions allows podcast producers to more easily monetize their content
- Ability to manage HomePod timers in the Home app
- Mac: Click the Apple menu > System Preferences > Software Update. Apple Support Article HT201541
- iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch: Open the Settings app > General > Software Update. Apple Support Article HT204204
- Apple Watch: First update your iPhone, then on your iPhone tap the Watch app > General > Software Update. Apple Support Article HT204641
- Apple TV: Go to the Settings app > System > Software Update. Apple Support Article HT202716
- HomePod: Updates will install automatically. To push the update along faster see the instructions at Apple Support Article HT208247