Today Apple released minor but important updates across all of their operating systems including the first bug fix update for macOS Big Sur.
The headline feature is Apple Fitness+, Apple’s new subscription fitness app. Workouts can be viewed on iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV,
but note that an Apple Watch is required. It appears that as of now an Apple Watch is not required when starting workouts on iPhone but it is if you are using Apple TV. The details of that could change in the future. The subscription costs $9.99/month, $79.99/year, or is included with the Apple One Premiere bundle. All subscription options can be shared with other members of your iCloud Family at no additional cost.
In addition, there are lots of bug, security, reliability, and performance updates including:
- Support for AirPods Max
- Support for Apple ProRAW format on iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max
- Enhanced privacy details for apps on the App Store
- Enhancements for running iPad apps on macOS with the new Apple M1 processors
- New Apple TV+ tab in Apple TV apps
- Option to mirror the front-facing camera for still photos
- Apple News widget now available on macOS
- Mac: Click the Apple menu > System Preferences > Software Update. Apple Support Article HT201541
- iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch: Open the Settings app > General > Software Update. Apple Support Article HT204204
- Apple Watch: First update your iPhone, then on your iPhone tap the Watch app > General > Software Update. Apple Support Article HT204641
- Apple TV: Go to the Settings app > System > Software Update. Apple Support Article HT202716
- HomePod: Updates will install automatically. To push the update along faster see the instructions at Apple Support Article HT208247