Today Apple released the 14.2 updates for iPhone, iPad, HomePod, and AppleTV. watchOS 7.1 for Apple Watch was also released.
In addition to many bug and security fixes, these updates also includes several new features including:
- It implements several new emoji that were recently established by the Unicode Consortium, including a tamale, piñata, anatomical heart and lung, ninja, transgender symbol and flag, bubble tea, fondue, beaver, black cat, and about a hundred more.
- Several new wallpapers that are designed for Dark Mode.
- Redesigned media controls in Control Center make it easier to manage AirPlay devices such as HomePod and Apple TV.
- New Shazam button for Control Center.
- Optimized charging for AirPods to extend their lifespan.
- iPhone 12 Pro can use LiDAR scanner in Magnifier app to detect people and tell you how tall they are.
- Ability to permanently connect HomePods to Apple TV 4K for stereo, surround, or Dolby Atmos audio. Apparently does not apply to HomePod mini.
- Intercom feature recently released on HomePod is now on iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and CarPlay. Tell a device “Hey Siri, intercom dinner is ready” and all users connected in the Home app will receive a notification in your voice. You can set this up in the Home app.
- Warning when AirPods volume is high enough to damage your hearing.
- Ask “Hey Siri, what’s my update?” to get an overview of your day, including news, weather, traffic, reminders, and appointments.
- iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch: Open the Settings app > General > Software Update.
- Apple Watch: First update your iPhone, then on your iPhone tap the Watch app > General > Software Update.
- AppleTV: Navigate to Settings > System > Software Update.
- HomePod: HomePod will update itself automatically, but you can push it along manually. Go to the Home app, tap the house icon in the upper left corner, and choose “Software Update” in the “Speakers & TV” section.